Sunday, August 01, 2004

A Letter from Rutana

Dear Barselti--

One of these days I really ought to reestablish the portal between here and Gathmak so that I came come down and see you, but you know how I hate to travel, and I doubt that Lord Albi would welcome my visit. For now, you're just going to have to settle for one of your mother's nagging letters instead.

I've been surprisingly busy up here the last several days, ever since Fayubi's projection turned up, demanding a portal between my beach and a stretch of ocean halfway between Sûtelmar and Eplimar. The poor man was on a ship that was about to sink in a mage-induced storm. We managed to save everyone on board the Seeker, but the ship itself sank. I don't think we've ever found out who sent the storm. Or, at least, I haven't. I haven't heard from Fayubi since the day of the rescue.

There was a second ship on that stretch of ocean, a little one man boat that managed to tack through the portal before I deactivated it. I'm sure you'll be as astonished as I was to learn that the little boat came all the way from Londer. Can you imagine? Fayubi told me, before he left, that the man who sailed it was the Prince of Londer. He was unconscious by the time the sailors from the Seeker put him in the back bedroom, but Li found out the next day that Fayubi was right. He is Prince Talber Edmon Jon Verjul. He's about your age, and seems like a very nice young man. He didn't speak a word of Mâvarinû when he got here, but he is working very hard to learn. Li and I are helping him.

Now, I have a very serious question to ask you, Bari. Have you ever seen any indication that Li has magical talents? If so,why didn't you tell me? Li admitted to me today that he's been using a talent for languages on the Line for over a year without realizing it. It worries me, partly because of what happened with Imuselti last year. Li seems to have survived the experience without the usual consequence, but I'm still concerned that he's had magic all this time without my knowing about it. He hasn't had any instruction, or even the most basic warnings before this morning. I will do my best to rectify the situation, but it's going to be difficult. He's still worried about what your father will think.

How have you been doing down there? I haven't heard from you since winter. I hope you are being careful with your studies and experiments, and even more so with the tengremen, especially Albi. I know that you can take care of yourself, but I worry that the situation will get too dangerous if there's a real power struggle, especially if Albi finds out what you've been doing. Yes, I did hear about that. I think it's a very brave and noble thing you're doing, but please, mind your mother and watch your back!

Please write to me when you receive this, so that I know you're still alive.

Love,

Mother






(Art by Sherlock)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your AOL-J honor! I just wanted to be different and write that here.

Sara/Cricket Ball