Saturday, May 13, 2006

The Jace Letters, Part Four

Last week I made a continuity error. Did anyone spot it? I'm leaving it in, with the hope I can explain it as a plot point, months from now.

I'm not going to do recaps on any of the entries for this serial. Each installment is short enough that it should be easy to catch up if you come in late.


The Jace Letters

by Karen Funk Blocher
© 2006 by KFB


Part Four




Subject: Believing the Unbelievable
Date: 4/??/??? 24r08498whfo
From: NotaBeach
To: JaceFace

Jace –

You talk about what I say being unbelievable, and I suppose that it is. But then you hit me with unbelievable claims of your own! How am I supposed to react when you say that my accident, if there was one, was almost a year ago, and that my car was found in Deming? I haven't been to Deming in years.

I swear to you, Jace, that unless I've been in a coma, there's no way that even a week has gone by for me since I left Tucson to visit you on your birthday. It certainly hasn't been a year. My forehead is still bleeding, and my arm is sore, the way muscles sometimes get the day after an accident. That's how long it's been since I got here, wherever here is: about a day, maybe two. I look in the mirror, and I'm no older than I was before.

But your latest email is dated next April. How can that be? Something strange is going on, even stranger than I realized.

I asked Gabby whether she was an alien. She just laughed and said no. But there's definitely something she's not telling me.

If you're about to be twelve years old, then you're heading into adolescence, when pretty much everyone needs somebody to confide in. I remember being 12, 13, 14. They weren't the best years I've had. I'm not sure I have any good advice to offer, or even that this will reach you before you're an old married lady. But if you want to try to tell me what's going on in your life, I promise to reply as soon as I hear from you.

Okay. I got your email at 9:03 PM, according to my watch. It's 9:46 PM now. Please let me know whether you get this on the same day, week, or year as your email to me.

Love,

Aunt Sandy



Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: