Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Jace Letters, Part One

Here we go with the new serial. Part One! This is an email from Sandy Sheets (yes, I know) to her goddaughter, Jace Murphy. All will become clear in time. This is first draft stuff, so I'll probably have to clean it up later.

No, the end of this installment is not a mistake. Not my mistake, anyway.

The Jace Letters

by Karen Funk Blocher
© 2006 by KFB


Part One




Subject: Why I'm not there
Date: 4/??/??? 09590fh2fy08y
From: NotaBeach
To: JaceFace



Dear Jace –

I don’t see how this email is ever going to reach you, but if it does, please tell your parents I’ve been kidnapped.

This is not a joke!

I don’t know why I’ve been kidnapped. There don’t seem to be any ransom demands. The only person I’ve seen since I woke up here isn’t telling me much of anything. In fact, she hardly says a word at all. I’ve decided to call her “Gabby.” Just about the only thing she did say was that if I wrote you an email, you would get it. So I’m doing it, just in case. Even if it doesn’t go anywhere, I have to write down what’s happened, and try to make sense of it all.

It’s impossible to tell where I am. There are no windows, and the only door out of the three rooms – bedroom, bath, small living room or study – is dead-bolted. Locked. I have my computer (obviously), but it’s not online. Or, if it is, there’s something wrong with the connection. I can’t get to any current web pages, blogs or AOL, or access my email. I have the clothes that were in my suitcase, and I have my iPod, and I have enough to eat. That’s all.

I haven’t actually been very hungry since this happened. Not that I know what happened. Not really.

All I know is




Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: